Let’s Catch the People Stealing Your Packages
Wait a minute! You don’t need to catch them, you only need to deter them. The people stealing your packages are criminals, and criminals can be dangerous!
The less contact we have with the people stealing our packages the better. The ideal situation is to make the thieves realize it’s not even worth going onto your property. Our packages are important, but our safety is more important.
There’s nothing worse than coming home, already knowing a package has been delivered, only to find it missing. You check with your neighbors, no they don’t have it. There must be some package theft solutions available to us.
The feeling is terrible, you can feel it in your gut. You have been violated. Someone has been on your property. You want it to stop. It’s bad enough when you ordered the package for yourself, but when it is sent to you as a gift, the feeling is much worse.
Do the People Stealing Your Packages Operate a Scam
It’s possible. Some criminals are more organized than others. Package theft is a growing concern in all major U.S. cities. A company named C + R research published a report on the subject of package theft. They questioned thousands of people across America and found that 36% of all people have had a package stolen from their front porch.
Home package delivery is at an all-time high. The report by C + R also notes that 50% of respondents have a package delivery at least weekly if not daily. People are looking for package theft solutions so they don’t become a victim, again.
The people stealing your packages (Porch Pirates) do have a variety of scams that use various methods to find and steal your packages. They may get children involved that appear to be going door-to-door selling candy or magazines.
If they knock on a door where there is no answer, and there is a package at the door, they relay the info to their adult crime leaders. Then, the people stealing your packages make plans to discreetly get your packages.
These Porch Pirates, the people stealing your packages, have other methods they use. They have been known to actually follow the delivery trucks. They watch if anyone answers the door or not when the delivery driver knocks.
If the package has been left on the porch, it’s easy to steal. Also, the people stealing your packages may work in teams of two vehicles, alternating between following the delivery truck and taking the packages. There must be some package theft solutions we can utilize.
Concerned about your packages getting stolen from your porch after they’re delivered? You have options.
Best Ways to Deter the People Stealing Your Packages
Sometimes creating a good deterrent is all that you will need to stop the people stealing your packages. The saying in the old days used to be
“Locks Can Only Keep Honest People Honest”
Now in the days of people stealing your packages, the saying is,
“Cameras Can Only Keep Honest People Honest”.
Surveillance cameras are definitely a deterrent, but some people stealing your packages don’t care if they are recorded on video or not. When installing the cameras ensure they are obviously visible. Signage indicating the presence of video recording devices also are helpful. The camera only catches the people stealing your packages on camera, useless at times.
During the evening hours, the presence of motion-activated floodlights at the perimeter of your property is also a good deterrent. The people stealing your packages will find another target once they have been spotlighted while entering your property. In addition to motion-activated lighting, noisy dogs and nosey neighbors can help to deter thieves.
Deterrence measures are one thing but more must be done to help ensure our packages don’t get stolen. Let’s take a look at what’s working in the new age of home deliveries.
Ways to Stop the People Stealing Your Packages – Tactics That Work!
To stop people from stealing your packages there must be several options available for the delivery process. Not one solution will work for all deliveries. Companies each have their unique methods of delivery and security practices. Some companies offer solutions directly to their customers, some don’t.
Package Theft Solutions
Permit Entry Access to Delivery Drivers
- Key by Amazon for Prime Members — Amazon offers this service in some areas. It’s a very convenient service and utilizes an easy-to-use app. There are options to have the package put inside your home or inside your garage. The service also offers an option to give access to the driver through a front, side, or rear gate. And, if don’t feel like letting them in or on your property, they can leave it in your car.
There are other retailers that participate in similar types of programs. Inquire with your specific retailer for details.
Use Access Points or Alternate Delivery Destination
There are more than 90,000 access points offered in the USA by the USPS, FedEx, UPS, and Amazon.
- Amazon Locker — Another option for security and convenience. At an Amazon Locker, you can handle deliveries and returns. There is no waiting in lines and there are no additional fees. Here’s a big benefit, locations are open early and late. Amazon Prime members have a two-day delivery option.
- UPS My Choice® and Access Points — UPS offers this personalized service to their customers. The customer can manage when and where their packages are delivered or picked up. It allows for complete tracking. You can change the delivery destination, or request to have the package rerouted to a UPS Access Point, where you can pick it up at your convenience. By recruiting retailers to participate in their program UPS is closing in on 20,000 access point locations across the USA.
- FedEx On-site and Ship-sites — Different from the strategy of UPS, FedEx is choosing to partner exclusively with large, corporate entities like Walgreens and Office Depot. Their current plans are creating more than 62,000 retail locations.
Consider the option of getting a BoxLock
This is a smart padlock offered by BoxLock that can be accessed by hundreds of thousands of delivery drivers across the U.S. BoxLock is becoming the leader in contactless, secure delivery solutions.
The smart padlock secures a parcel box that can be secured on your porch or another area outside your home. The smart padlock has a barcode scanner built-in. It also allows anyone who texts a barcode the ability to securely pick up or drop off an item at your house. It works in conjunction with:
- Amazon Prime,
- FedEx Delivery Manager,
- UPS My Choice,
- USPS Informed Delivery,
- and other major carriers.
Another company that offers a similar product is PorchPod. It’s not high-tech, but it is simple and effective.
Other things you can do to stop the people stealing your packages
- Get Insurance on All Your Packages — Now that doesn’t stop the people stealing your packages, but it takes the financial pain factor out of the equation.
- Schedule all Deliveries at Times When You Are Home — Not so simple in all situations, but an option for some.
- Put a Vacation Hold on Deliveries — Takes away responsibility and inconvenience of having neighbors get your packages.
- Require a Signature for All Deliveries — Just like the old days. This will ensure that if you are not home the package won’t be left out.
- Have all Your Deliveries go to Your Place of Work — Perhaps a good option for some people, especially if you own a business and if there is always someone there.
- Use a Package Guard — This is a scale-like device that sounds an alarm when the package is moved or tampered with.
- Use a P.O. Box — Not always very convenient, but a solution. The USPS will store large parcels, as will most smaller postal service businesses.
Package Theft – The Psychology Behind It
I know you don’t like people stealing your packages, but you got to wonder why they do it. Every time I have a package stolen from my house the same thought goes through my mind. What goes through the mind of a Porch Pirate?
Why do people steal my packages, or why do people steal anything?
So, I researched the matter thinking that if I knew why they did the things they do, perhaps I could avoid being one of their victims. Turns out, there are many reasons people steal packages, and they have many different motives. Here are some possible explanations:
- They’re addicted and need a way to support their addiction — One of the signs that someone is addicted to drugs is thievery. It may not be drugs, it could be sex, gambling, or alcohol. Addicts steal stuff and try to turn a quick profit by selling it for any amount someone will pay. It could be an item we paid $200 for and they will sell it for $20.
- Out of Need — The person could be desperate for rent money, food, or gasoline. They may just need the item they stole. It’s hard to stop people from stealing your packages if they’re that desperate.
- Heavy Peer Pressure — Really common amongst teenage thieves. They steal to be cool, or just to brag about it. Perhaps it was a dare that if they didn’t do they would get called names by their so-called friends. Sometimes they have such a bad and lonely life at home that they just want to fit in with a group, even a group of thieves.
- Maybe They’re a Kleptomaniac — The urge to steal is a mental illness. Although they may feel guilty after stealing, they can’t resist the urge to do it. They don’t steal something because they need the item or the money they can sell it for, it’s just the illness in their head.
- The Easy Way Out — It’s easier to steal something than to work for it. That’s simply a matter of bad upbringing. Or perhaps, they can not earn enough money to live the lifestyle they desire.
- Just for the Adventure –, I guess some people who steal your packages just find it fun. They get their kicks by stealing stuff. I don’t know how people that steal your packages can get a thrill out of it. These are the thieves that usually feel no regrets.
There’s nothing worse than coming home, already knowing a package has been delivered, only to find it missing. The feeling is terrible, you can feel it in your gut. You have been violated. Someone has been on your property.
Use the suggestions in this article to stop people from stealing your packages. The people stealing your packages do have a variety of scams that use various methods to find and steal your packages. Sometimes creating a good deterrent is all that you will need to stop the people stealing your packages.
Read more: Don’t Fall Victim to Identity Thieves
Read more: What are Good Personal Cybersecurity Practices?
Read more: Protect yourself from online Identity theft
Read more: Understanding the Deep Web and the Dark Web
Updated 01/11/2022 by Kirby Allen